maddan3

France Book Tours
Challenge Participant 80%

Head or Hearts by Paul Johnston

Heads or Hearts (A Quint Dalrymple Mystery) - Paul Johnston

This is book six in the Quint Dalrymple series and the first one that I have read

Edinburgh 2033. A human heart has been found on a football pitch and Maverick investigator Quint Dalrymple is called in to investigate, but he doesn't get far in the investigation when a headless body is found. Has the heart and the headless body something to do with the planned referendum over Edinburgh joining a reconstituted Scotland?

It was really interesting to read a book set in a not so distant future where countries have been broken up into states. Since this was the first book I read did it take some time to get into “the world”. There have been some murders and Quint Dalrymple gets authority from the Council to find out who the heart belongs to and who is behind placing at the football field? But nothing is simple with this case, a headless body turns up, there seems to be illegal gambling going on and gangs are smuggling drugs and soon it pretty clear that something is rotten in Edinburgh.

I must admit that it wasn't the most intriguing story and even though I'm used to reading books in English the author seemed a bit to happy using words that I'm not that familiar with and that doesn't feel that common. Well at least I have learned some new words. But the book had something special, I liked the idea of a future Edinburgh where before this book the citizens seemed to be more tightly held and now and now have some more freedom, like actually having the haircut they want. Quint Dalrymple and his sidekick Davie brought some charm to the book as well. I love their banter. But I had some problems with the “names” of all the people working for the council, some example; Adam 392, Raebum 124, Hume 253, Watt 529, and Adam 159. I felt that it was a bit hard to keep track of everyone and that made the reading a bit heavy. Also, at the end; I just didn't find the revealing that chocking, more like "alright" when the culprits where revealed.

But it wouldn't mind reading the earlier books in this series and the future ones.

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review! Thank you!