maddan3

Tatiana de Rosnay
France Book Tours
Challenge Participant 80%

The Dead Assassin by Vaughn Entwistle

The Dead Assassin: The Paranormal Casebooks of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Vaughn Entwistle

The year is 1895 and Dr. Arthur Conan Doyle is summoned to a horrendous crime scene where a senior member of Her Majesty's government has been murdered. The most baffling thing is that the killer seems to be one Charlie Higginbotham. But it's impossible for him to be the killer since he was hanged two weeks previously at Newgate Prison…

I wanted to like this book since I was quite happy when I was approved for this book a little while ago. But I just couldn't get into the story. It should be very interesting; I mean here we have Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde trying to find out the truth about a seemingly dead assassin while more people are getting killed. But I found the story to be quite frankly lacking heart and not even towards the end when everything started to come together did I feel the any excitement towards the story. I think the biggest problem was that it lacked surprises. There was no question about the identities of  the suspects were for me and frankly here we have Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of Sherlock Holmes and it feels like it takes him forever to puzzle things together. Another thing, it's true that he met his second wife while his first wife was still alive, but I had some real problem with Doyle courting Jean Leckie while Louisa is at home dying from tuberculosis. And, then when he believes that Leckie's life is in danger he invites her home. For yes, let's take home his new love to meet his dying wife. Asshole!

So, no, the book was not for me. Not even Oscar Wilde that I liked very much in the first book was up to my liking in this book. There is a scene in this book when they are undercover and Wilde just gives them away in such idiotic eye rolling way that I wonder what the hell he is thinking!

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review! Thank you!