maddan3

Tatiana de Rosnay
France Book Tours

The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths

The Zig Zag Girl - Elly Griffiths

I saw that book two is coming out now this fall and thought perhaps it was time to read the first book since I have had the ARC just around a year waiting for me to read. Elly Griffiths is the author behind the Ruth Galloway series, a series I quite enjoy reading so I was curious to see how this new series would be.

The new series takes place in the 1950s Brighton and Detective Inspector Edgar Stephens must solve a case of a murdered woman. The body has been cut in three bits and this reminds him of the magic trick, the Zig Zag Girl. He knows the investor of the trick, Max Mephisto, he is an old friend and they served together in the war in a shadow unit called Magic Men. But who would kill a girl and why? And, then another one is killed and now they must really find the killer before more people are killed. And, it seems that the people that are killed is connected to the Magic Men...

It was interesting to read something other than Elly Griffiths usual series and I enjoyed a step back in time to the 50s just after the war with people that are trying to move on, but it has only been 5 years since it ended and the memories of it still lingers over the country. For Edgar Stephens brings this case back memories of the war and the shadow unit he was in and the women he loved and lost. He hasn't really gotten over her and the way she died. And, now with the murder is he reunited with Max Mephisto, magician the man who invented the Zig Zag Girl. I just love magicians and I enjoyed the combination of a police and magician working together.

I found the case interesting because of the group of magicians, not all of them were magicians, of course, Edgar wasn't one. But they were gathered together to create illusions to stupefy the enemy. And, now it seems that there is a murdered among them.

But it was also not hard to figure things out, the story was good, but I found it too easy to figure things out. It lacked any real moments of surprises. I enjoyed reading it, it was a fine book and I want to read the next book. I just hope for a more intriguing plot.

I received this copy from Quercus Books through NetGalley in return for an honest review! Thank you!