maddan3

France Book Tours
Challenge Participant 80%

Landfalls by Naomi J. Williams

Landfalls: A Novel - Naomi J. Williams

An epic voyage, undertaken with the grandest of ambitions.

I had no previous knowledge of the Lapérouse expedition before I read this book and I did not read about it on the internet until I just had a couple of pages left of the book to read. Two frigates left Brest in 1785 with two hundred men on board in a brave attempt to circumnavigate the globe. Every chapter in Landfalls is told from a different point of view. Both from the crew, natives and  other Europeans they encountered on their journey.

I had some problem with the story I must admit. Mostly because I had no previous knowledge of the journey and also with the shifting between the characters. So it took a while for me to really get into the story, and some characters left a bigger impression on me than others did. I especially liked the chapters with the captains Lapérouse and de Langle point of view.

One of my favorite part of the book was when they reached Alaska and everything that happened there. It was then I really started to enjoy the book. I think the chapter with the native girl in Alaska, her point of view was just so amazing to read. Just think how it must have been, never seen Europeans before. Amazing.

Also, the last part of the book, the mystery of what happened with the ships was just so fascinating to read about.

I recommend this book to anyone that wants to know more about the Lapérouse expedition or is just interested in history.

Thank you Piatkus for providing me through NetGalley with a free copy for an honest review!