maddan3

Tatiana de Rosnay
France Book Tours
Challenge Participant 80%

Silent Scream by Angela Marsons

Silent Scream: An edge of your seat serial killer thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 1) - Angela Marsons

DI Kim Stone is called to a scene of a crime. A woman has been found murdered in a bathtub and the murder seems to be linked to a body that is discovered a little while later buried at a former children’s home. Kim Stone and her team must figure out who is behind the killing and why before more people die.

I had some trouble getting into the story, mostly because I felt a bit weary when the cops were introduced, they seem to be the usual bunch, a wish cracker, best friend, and the technical one (well surfing FB and finding clues in emails) and the gruff boss. Also, Kim Stone, the main character is a woman with a dark past in foster homes, she doesn't obey orders and has an attitude problem. And, Kim is one of my main problems with this book. The thing with orders and regulations is something that is there for everyone and every time she does something wrong in this book she is called in to see her boss, but she doesn't get suspended or taken off the case. I'm sorry, no matter how good you are as a cop. you have to obey orders. I'm having a hard time seeing how this would work in the real world. And then towards to end when she breaks into the former children’s home to look for something, All ALONE at night. Come on. She doesn't tell anyone and she goes by herself. There is a killer loose, but who cares, let's play recklessly.

Another thing that bothered me was how convenient everything was:

1. We have a former children’s home. Kim was a foster home child and has spent time in children's home.

2. There are two sisters in the story, they are twins. Kim was a twin.

3. Someone is mentally ill. Kim's mother is mentally ill.

So of course, this makes her the perfect cop to solve the crimes! Also, we have a killer that decided that Kim is the perfect adversary. That's new, never happens in books...

To the plus side. I had problems getting into the story, that's true, but it got better around 50% into the story. Things started to happen and the story got more intense. Also, I was totally blindsided when it came to the ending of the book. And, despite the fact that the cops felt a bit stereotypical. I did come to like them, including Kim. I just hope that next case hasn't any similarities with her life.