maddan3

Tatiana de Rosnay
France Book Tours

Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon by Sylvain Cordurié

Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon - Laci Paige, Sylvain Cordurié

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle meets H. P. Lovecraft! Yeah, that line taken from the blurb quite summarize this graphic novel pretty good. Sherlock Holmes is on an Arctic expedition after everything that happened in the last volume with the vampire Selymes (A volume that I sadly haven't read). But something is calling him back to London, can it be that an old foe is back...from the dead? And what has the Necronomicon to do with it?

I do have a deep love for everything paranormal, and reading a Sherlock Holmes story with paranormal aspects like the Necronomicon was marvelous. And the art is superb. Just look at the details of London. This is the kind of art I want to enjoy when I read anything that has to do with the Victorian era. Although I had one problem...

I took my forever to get used to how Sherlock Holmes was drawn. I mean he is drawn just fine, that is just not how I picture him....

I just think that I'm a bit influenced by the original drawings of Sherlock Holmes. But after a while I started to warm up to his looks. I mean, he is a fictional character, everyone picture him differently. I sure as hell picture him more like Jeremy Brett than Benedict Cumberbatch. But that doesn't mean that the Cumberbatch series isn't any good (Love that series)...

So, I liked this volume. The story was good, not fantastical good, but I enjoyed reading it. I do admit that the art pushed up the rating to 4 stars. I mean the story was good, but I wasn't totally engrossed with it. But I liked that Dr. Watson wasn't in it. He sometimes has a tendency to ruin the enjoyment for me, depending on how stupid the author makes him...or the scriptwriter. I think the best part of the book was towards the end when everything started to come together and Sherlock Holmes had to do anything to stop his enemy from winning. And look at that art...beautiful!

I do felt that reading it on my Ipad took way some of the enjoyment because it shrunk everything so everything was a bit small, especially the text. But that is a minor problem.

Thanks to Dark Horse Books and Edelweiss for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!