maddan3

France Book Tours
Challenge Participant 80%

Second Street Station by Lawrence H. Levy

Second Street Station: A Mary Handley Mystery - Lawrence H. Levy

Mary Hadley is hired by the Brooklyn police department to solve a murder, but they are expecting her to fail, but she is determent to prove them wrong. Charles Goodrich, the man that was killed used to work for Thomas Edison. Could Edison be involved with this murder or someone else as famous as him like J. P. Morgan or and Nikola Tesla? And, why would anyone murder  Charles Goodrich. Did he know something about Edison that could damage the man's reputation?

This book was a pleasant surprise. I started to read it last night and finished it this morning. I like reading historical fiction with real people in it and it was interesting to read a murder mystery that involved Edison and Tesla.

Mary Hadley has always been the odd one out in her family so becoming a policewoman seems perfect for her, especially since she wanted to be a detective when she was little and witnessed a murder. It was sometimes I bit frustrating to read how good she was and special and there are several times in this book that everything is so bloody convenient for her, her knowledge of jujitsu for instance or that she had a piece of glass on her to defend herself. And every time she happened to be at the right place at the right time. Like the murder, she witnessed as a child or when the parents of a friend she knew were killed or when she happens to stop by the police station and saves a man's life etc. I mean come one. Is it something I really having a problem with when it comes to in a story is when everything is convenient for the main character throughout the book. It takes away a bit of the fun of reading.

But despite that was the book enjoyable, the ending surprising, I did like Mary and I wouldn't mind reading the next book in the series.

I received the book from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review.