maddan3

Tatiana de Rosnay
France Book Tours
Challenge Participant 80%

The Obsession

The Obsession - Nora Roberts I can honestly say that this book will probably conclude my Nora Roberts reading experience. After reading several of her books have I come to the conclusion that I'm not the right person to read her books. I still want to read her J.D. Robb books because they have proven to work better for me.

But, there is something about the way Roberts write her books that just doesn't work for me. And, I'm pretty sure I know what it is. First, the story is way too obvious. I figured out the killer's identity quite early (very easy to do) and then I spent the rest of the book waiting to see if I was right (and I was). And, that just takes away the enjoyment of reading the book. I did however like Naomi and the first 100 pages or so in the book was really good and for a moment I thought that this book would turn out good. Then Xander turned up in the story and everything went to hell.

Honestly, suspecting who the killer was could I have lived with when it came to this book. But I couldn't stand Xander Keaton, the main characters Naomi's love interest. For some reason, I can't stand the way Roberts write romance. It feels the same way every time I read one of her books. Up until Xander the book was good (despite me suspecting and guessing right what would happen later on), but after that the book quickly turned less enjoyable and I started to skim through the book so that I could get to the end. I did however like Tag, the dog, that Naomi found, and I also liked Naomi's brother Mason. I wouldn't have minded seeing Mason having a larger part in the book. His presence towards the end of the book made the book a bit better.

Unfortunately, there are no surprises in the book, I feel that Roberts have found a safe way to write and sell books and then she stuck to it. I wish the book could surprise me more, not just the typical woman meets a man that makes her feel safe and loved after a hard time and then they face trouble together before the happy ending. Some like that kind of books, I don't!

1.5 stars

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!