maddan3

Tatiana de Rosnay
France Book Tours
Challenge Participant 80%

Secret Sisters

Secret Sisters - Jayne Ann Krentz Madeline and Daphne were once the best of friends until a terrible event took place. A man attacks Madeline and, despite the fact that the man would never again bother anyone did Madeline's grandmother close up the hotel she owned and moved with her granddaughter far away.

Now 18 years later Madeline is back at the hotel. Her grandmother is dead and she has to decide what to do with the old hotel. But she must confront the past when the old caretaker of the hotel is brutally murdered. Madeline and Daphne must face the past and find out who is behind the killing and could this person know the truth about what happened 18 years ago?

I was quite looking forward to reading this book as I enjoy reading the historical novels Jayne Ann Krentz writes under the name of Amanda Quick.

I found the beginning of the book promising, with a dark secret that is kept by a little group of people and how someone out there is apparently out to know the truth. What is the secret and who is after Madeline and Daphne?

And, at first, the book was good, easy to get into and a bit intriguing. Unfortunately, the book didn't turn out the way I thought it would. For one thing, everything points to one suspect in the book, and that made me quite sure that all this is a big red herring and that made me look for someone else that could be the big bad wolf instead. Secondly, the couple thing, two men and two women. That bored me. It was so predictable and utterly uninteresting to read about. Perhaps it would have worked better if the characters had been a bit more interesting, but they were flat and their romance just made the reading less engaging.

The story was just not imaginative or suspenseful. It was predictable and it felt like something I read several times before. I was hoping for a story that would enthrall me, but it simply never really did that and the last 50 pages were a real struggle to get through. This book was just not for me.

Thank you Piatkus for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!