maddan3

Cost of Life: A Thriller - Joshua Corin
On Sale: March 17, 2015
Pages: 274
Published by : Alibi

For readers of Preston & Child, James Rollins, and Brad Thor comes a gripping new thriller from Joshua Corin, in which an audacious hijacking is just the beginning of a twisted international nightmare.

Happy Independence Day. You’re all going to die.

Life can’t be better for veteran pilot Larry Walder. He has a great job, a terrific kid, a gorgeous wife—and no inkling that tonight will be the end of the world as he knows it. In the early hours before the Fourth of July, three men break into Larry’s home. And as the day lurches on to its terrifying course, a life is taken, and Flight 816 from Atlanta to Cozumel, Mexico, vanishes off the radar.

In the air, Larry must find a way to save his family, his crew, and his passengers. On the ground, disgraced FBI agent Xanadu Marx goes rogue, making it her mission to track down the missing flight before the hijackers reach their diabolical endgame. With the casualties racking up and the world’s busiest airport under lockdown, a message arrives: This is no ordinary hijacking, no typical hostage crisis. This ransom is a totally different beast—the first hint of a conspiracy that might bring America to its knees.

Review

This book is perfect for anyone that looks for a fast-paced action book with a great main character. Xana Marx, a disgraced FBI agent, just out of rehab will do anything to track down the plane. She has a temper problem and she recently got out of rehab after she drove under influence into a house and now she risks losing her job. Her boss Jim Christie decided that she needs someone that keeps an eye on her, the young intern Hayley. Hayley has always wanted to be an FBI agent, but because she is dying of bone cancer that will never happen. Xana and Hayely "working" together is actually one of the best things with the book. A cranky elder women and this young woman that knows that she will never live to be old, but doesn't let that stop her working together.

Beside all the action on the ground we also get to follow the people on the plane. I was surprised when the real reason for the hijacking of the plan was revealed. I had not been expecting that.

In the end, it's struggle against time. Will they be able to save the hostage? How many will die in the end?

Personally I found the book OK, it didn't click all the way out for me. But what really made the book for me was Xana Marx and I wouldn't mind reading more books about her and hopefully Hayley. But I couldn't help thinking about the crash in the French Alps not so long ago and that perhaps destroyed the reading mood about. It's been a bit too many plane crashed lately and reading about a hijacking, well that just didn't feel that good. But beside that fact I quite liked that book and I'm looking forward to reading more books by Joshua Corin.

About Joshua Corin

Joshua Corin is the author of Nuclear Winter Wonderland, While Galileo Preys, andBefore Cain Strikes. He holds an M.A. in English and an M.A. in theater from Binghamton University, and currently teaches college in Atlanta, Georgia.

Giveaway